The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Iceland Resumes Commercial Whaling

Arglebargle. Iceland is now issuing permits for commercial hunting of minke and (very endangered) fin whales, defying the International Whaling Commission. Part of a disturbing trend--the government of Japan has been bribing small countries with foreign aid to slowly assemble a majority at the IWC to lift the ban on commercial whaling. Ever get nostalgic for those Greenpeace boats that got in front of harpoons in the '70s? Yeah.

In my view, this undermines the case for aboriginal subsistence whaling, which is another soapbox issue for me (I'm happy to send a .pdf of my law review comment, or its journal cite, to anyone with too much free time).

My favorite quote from the article, from the UK Director of the International Fund for Animal Welfare: "Iceland has been struggling to sell whale meat obtained since 2003 through its so-called scientific whaling programme. As well as no scientific findings of value being released from this, Iceland has tried and failed to find markets for its whale meat." So this is just a middle finger to people who care about whales, or a boondoggle for the whaling industry?

Bjork, baby, what's going on over there? Talk to them, will you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home