The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud . . .

. . . is going on my list of films overshadowed by their soundtracks, along with Superfly. I've been a fan of the score for a long time, with Miles Davis's lonely lonely trumpet nearly bringing a tear to my eye. I just got around to watching the film, which is pretty good--great imagery, intrigue, everything not spelled out for the thinking viewer, and nice bookends for the start and end. But . . . the score is head and shoulders above the film. I don't know if the film's been written that could live up to that score, which was largely improvised over the film itself.

I could never be a film or music critic--I like too much of what I see and hear!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:11 AM, March 04, 2008, Blogger Luke and Laura said…

    I like this movie a lot, so I'm not sure if it completely counts, but I might put Jarmusch's "Dead Man" in this category.

    Its a great movie all on its own, but Neil Young's score/soundtrack is just mindblowing. And, in fact, the music contributes a great deal to it being such a good movie.

    If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home