The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Sunday, October 22, 2006

"The Beginning of the End of America"

I'm not much of a Keith Olbermann fan, but this video . . . damn. It's already a few days old, so ignore this if you've already seen it. He quite eloquently lays out the dangers of the Military Commissions Act of 2006--legalized torture, no habeas corpus, no guaranteed right to an attorney, and secret evidence against the accused, among other things. He also puts it in historical context, alongside huge miscarriages of justice like the Alien and Sedition Acts, locking up pacifists during World War I, and internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. And again, the danger is to American citizens, not to mention non-citizens.

My favorite thing about this piece, though? Olbermann says that Bush lied. I never thought I'd hear that on any corporate news outlet, despite it being glaringly obvious.

The text version is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home