The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Sunday, November 11, 2007

The joy of doing very little

The three day weekend progresses splendidly. It's been very relaxing, and I can reflect on my hope for peace on this Armistice Day. I also made beef bourguignon last night, which turned out rather tasty (and tastes even better as leftovers, go figure).

I caught up on some Netflix as well. Four Brothers has a catchy blaxploitation soundtrack, most of which is already on my iPod, and I dug the story too--you pretty much know what's going to happen in any revenge-themed flick (heck, the name gave away the ending in Kill Bill). Comic Book Villains was disappointing--it gets a few points for the mild Kevin Smith vibe running through it, the comic book trivia sprinkled in, the excellent casting, and Cary Elwes playing a low-down dirty double-crosser who is loyal to his woman, but the story was kind of thin, perhaps good enough for a short subject. Vulgar was weird, but not weird in a new and interesting way--think Pulp Fiction meets Quick Change meets Death Wish. Still, gotta support independent cinema, even though it's mostly been gobbled up by major studios.

I am chagrined by the dearth of streaming audio coverage for Stanford basketball games. My team isn't the home team here, so I can't count on TV coverage, and I like to put the audio on so I can read or do chores or something while listening to the game. I missed the Harvard drubbing the other night, the Northwestern State whomping last night, and the UCSB trouncing going on as I write this. I understand that the campus station has a set schedule, especially before conference play begins, but you'd think a commercial radio station billing itself as "the radio home of Stanford athletics" would at least carry some games. Ah well, could be worse--I could live in a giant bucket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home