The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wow, just wow.

There have been eleven earthquakes near Kaktovik this week. (Sorry--couldn't find a non-registration version of the story.) Kaktovik is the easternmost village in my home region, the North Slope, and seismic activity is a rarity.

It's also right by ANWR--anyone still want to argue that oil drilling there is completely safe? That is, if the myriad spills, pipeline leaks, and shoddy oversight by regulators on the North Slope isn't enough to discourage more drilling, let alone drilling on protected land.

UPDATE: Here is a nonsubscription version of the story. And props to the 2 profs who taught my "Natural Hazards and Human Survival" class at Stanford--it might've been a way for a liberal arts major to knock out a science requirement, but I learned something, and I still think earthquakes and volcanoes are cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home