The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nature Thrives in the DMZ

Apparently, the Korean demilitarized zone is also one of the most important wildlife refuges in Asia. I guess when you wall something off from the north and south and leave it alone, nature runs wild, to paraphrase former Alaska Gov. Wally Hickel. I'm a bit conflicted--as desirable as a peace treaty among the Koreas and the U.S. would be, it would be a shame to turn this pristine wilderness into a bunch of luxury condos and Starbuckses. Of course they'd have to clear the landmines before any of that happened.

This reminds me of the story a couple of years ago about penguins using minefields from the Falklands War as breeding grounds--they don't trip the landmines, and the humans aren't around to bug them.

So, I'll admit that occasionally some good happens as an ancillary effect of war, but maintain my position that war is bad. Very bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home