The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kiita! (Or: Go Whalers!)

Despite the mixed feelings, it's always nice to see my high school's football team do well. Yes, part of me thinks paying for equipment and travel is a colossal waste of money that could be spent on hiring and retaining more good teachers, or a much much much better college prep curriculum. Yes, it's uncertain how many kids are actually staying in school and out of trouble because of the opportunity to toss around the old pigskin. Nonetheless, it's good to see the home team start off its second season with a win. I also couldn't think of a better way to break in the brand new field, a very generous donation. Because "football" is more fun as a concept than "fiscal responsibility" anyway.

The score was Barrow 18, Seward 16, not that the linked article would tell you that . . . scores and opponents are meaningless details in this new era of sports journalism. Those details are here and here if you don't want to take my word for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home