The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thank goodness for Bishop Tutu

I heard Desmond Tutu speak back in '99, and he was phenomenal. He wrote an amazing op-ed in today's Guardian, on capital punishment. Hopefully the day will come when it disappears, hopefully in my lifetime, and hopefully soon. I wonder how the US will vote tomorrow on the UN General Assembly resolution calling for a moratorium on capital punishment? Probably the same as a handful of other countries our government wouldn't want us next to on any list concerning human rights--China, Sudan, etc. Even Russia has abolished the death penalty. Heck, even red, Republican Alaska has no death penalty. I'm encouraged by some recent US court decisions--I hope we're evolving as a country on this issue. Revenge doesn't make us whole.

It's cold-er in Bethel, but not cold cold. It's about 20 degrees right now, and it got down to 17 the other night. It's supposed to stay pretty mild through Thanksgiving--I'm sure the subzero temperatures will get here sooner or later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home