The Country Lawyer

"I may be a simple country hyper-chicken, but I know when we're finger-licked."

Thursday, May 10, 2007

More VECO Fallout!

I didn't know, but am not surprised, that VECO Chairman and CEO Bill Allen, was also publisher of the defunct conservative Anchorage Times. For those of you who weren't following Alaska news in '92, the Anchorage Daily News bought the Times, making Anchorage a one-(daily)-paper town (always sad). The Times had a contract to continue on, using a half-page space on the Daily News editorial page, "The Voice of the Times." They were reliably conservative and pro-development, as a counterbalance to what they perceived as a liberal bias in the Daily News (I never saw it--heck, I'm pretty sure they endorsed Ted Stevens a few times--someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, Bill Allen plead guilty to federal bribery and corruption charges this week, and the "Voice of the Times" contract happened to be up for renewal. The Daily News decided not to renew. A more cynical version of me would make a witty remark about the embodiment of conservative values, but I'm much too gracious for that, oh yes.

It's still thinking about springtime here--39 and rainy at the moment. I made an appointment for an annual physical--it's been a couple years, and it's always nice to have a professional reaffirm that I'm feeling great. And after going to my first dental appointment since before law school (no cavities!), I'm on an appointment kick. Just try and stop me--I just might see an optometrist next!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home